POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : .303 hunting rifle ammo : Re: .303 hunting rifle ammo Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: .303 hunting rifle ammo
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 10 Nov 2009 15:22:09
Message: <4af9cb71$1@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen wrote:
> Hmm interesting! Ok, so we're not getting screwed really with the prices we
> have here.

Or the USA is getting equally screwed on prices. I didn't check anything
outside the country.

> 30-30 is extremely rare in SA, I don't think I've ever even seen that
> caliber on sale here - most for a Winchester lever-action carbine, right?

Yeah, that's what I recall. I checked wiki, which says that the -30 was
tacked on by a competitor, who didn't want to manufacture .30 Winchester
rounds.

And it seems some people actually use the 30-30 in handguns. Ow...

> 30-06 is well known for light and medium sized game hunting, and .308 is
> THE farmer's rifle here. It is usually scoped and used for hunting game or
> controlling pests (jackals, caracal, etc.) on SA farms.

Very similar here for game, but most pests are too small to hit with a
.308. The .22 is the normal rodent round, being just enough to get rid
of them, and not powerful enough to cause much trouble if you miss. And
for rodent hunting, when food gets scarcer or more expensive.

Around here, any dog the size of a jackal is likely to be someones pet
and any cat that size is probably a protected species.