POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Font metrics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Font metrics (Message 7 to 16 of 26)
<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Subject: Re: Font metrics
Date: 3 Nov 2009 09:46:49
Message: <op.u2tp0d0t7bxctx@bigfrog.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:41:41 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> Your point being...?

"In metal type, the point size (and hence the em) is measured as the
height of the metal body from which the letter rises."

"In digital type, the relationship of the height of particular letters to
the em is arbitrarily set by the typeface designer. However, as a very
rough guideline, an 'average' font might have a cap height of 70% of the
em, and an x-height of 48% of the em."

> Last time I checked, PostScript measures everything in points.

With the "point size" corresponding to the em. In a 10pt font, one em
equals 10 points. The actual height of most letters will be smaller.

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

> "In metal type, the point size (and hence the em) is measured as the
> height of the metal body from which the letter rises."

I knew that. ;-)

> "In digital type, the relationship of the height of particular letters
> to the em is arbitrarily set by the typeface designer."

In other words, given a 10pt font, there is no way to determine how tall
or wide any of the letters are. (E.g., they could be 10pt, 1pt,
1000pt...) This is very helpful. :-/

>> Last time I checked, PostScript measures everything in points.
>
> With the "point size" corresponding to the em. In a 10pt font, one em
> equals 10 points. The actual height of most letters will be smaller.

Still doesn't help me figure out how wide the letters of Courier 10pt
are. (Being a monospace font, all the letters should be the same width...)

As I say, it appears to be exactly 6pt. But I have no idea why...

Post a reply to this message