POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lies, damn lies and statistics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Lies, damn lies and statistics (Message 51 to 60 of 68)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Lies, damn lies and statistics
Date: 4 Nov 2009 01:20:59
Message: <4af11d4b@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:07:24 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> You can't. That's what sucks about the Bourne convention.
>>
>> <insert witty comment about Jason Bourne here>
>
> Yeah. Berne. I knew it looked wrong.

LOL, I wasn't even commenting on that (I thought you had it right, it
just struck me funny).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Nov 2009 01:21:22
Message: <4af11d62$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 05:17:48 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>> I'd try to make it up to ya, but I don't think it'd be appreciated. ;-)
>>

> :P

I see that I was correct in that assessment. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 4 Nov 2009 01:44:16
Message: <4AF122BD.4080405@hotmail.com>
On 3-11-2009 23:03, Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> Sure, but how can you know?
>
> You can't. That's what sucks about the Bourne convention.

I assume they scan the database for illegal content every now and then.
In that process they could add a flag if they recognize it as something
that is allowed to be there. Perhaps even better, remove it and replace
by a link to an officially uploaded video. What is the point of having
10 'different' versions of the clip of Orinoco Flow?

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 4 Nov 2009 01:49:00
Message: <4AF123D9.6040909@hotmail.com>
On 4-11-2009 6:32, Stephen wrote:
> andrel wrote:

>>> The lady’s son died before he knew that she was his mother.
>>> (Alcoholic poising IIRC) So number 1 is correct.
>>> It is from the play of “East Lynne” a sensation novel by Mrs Henry Wood.
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Lynne
>>
>> Today I had a recurring discussion about the use of English in
>> science. Someone had submitted a manuscript for correction to a native
>> speaker. A number of the suggested corrections were good English but
>> incorrect scientific/international English. Which reminded me that
>> sometimes at conferences I have trouble understanding some Brits that
>> wrongly assume that English is the language of the conference and that
>> therefore can use any expression that they know. This would be a
>> typical example.
>>

> You have mentioned this one or two times before ;)

I was afraid so. But if you knew that, why do you cite such obscure
literature without a footnote in an international forum?

> Because you are from the Lowlands every English speaker expects you to
> be fully fluent in several languages. (A complement BTW) But I’m sure
> that we won’t go to war over it (again :-P)
>
>> BTW how did Ellen become Henri?
>
> When Miss Ellen Price married Mr. Henry Wood she became known as Mrs.
> Henry Wood. This was the accepted practice in England in the early 19th
> century (and even later).
It was just that I didn't see him mentioned in the wikipedia page, so
how was I to know?

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 4 Nov 2009 02:24:57
Message: <4af12c49$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Japanese?  Quenya I knew, since I own that disc (and the films), but I
> didn't know about Spanish and Loxian (I don't even know where that is
> from - off to Google it - ah, and I have that album too).  But where does
> she use Japanese, Spanish, and Welsh?

Japanese - Sumiregusa, track 7 on A Day without Rain (originally used in
a commercial for Fujitsu a year or so earlier iirc)
Spanish - La Soñadora, track 10 on The Memory of Trees
Welsh - Dan y Dŵr, track 14 on Enya/The Celts

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 4 Nov 2009 04:11:48
Message: <4af14554@news.povray.org>
...and a bit of French in Only If... on Paint the Sky with Stars

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Nov 2009 07:20:40
Message: <4af17198$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:

>> You have mentioned this one or two times before ;)
>
> I was afraid so. But if you knew that, why do you cite such obscure
> literature without a footnote in an international forum?

Sorry if I caused you any distress Andrel.
I wrote it because I was replying to Jim and this is Off Topic ;)
When I am at work and writing for my German and Dutch colleagues, I use
clear English but in a social situation I don’t always. I actually
thought that the phrase was quite well known but after doing a straw
poll at work I stand corrected. The only person I asked who had heard it
was the office cleaner and she has a degree in fine arts.
But look on the bright side your knowledge of English Victorian
literature has increased and at the next garden party you attend you can
astound all and sundry.

>>> BTW how did Ellen become Henri?
>>
>> When Miss Ellen Price married Mr. Henry Wood she became known as Mrs.
>> Henry Wood. This was the accepted practice in England in the early
>> 19th century (and even later).
> It was just that I didn't see him mentioned in the wikipedia page, so
> how was I to know?

I was a bit surprised it wasn’t mentioned in Wikipedia, either. But that
is Wikipedia for you. It is not the be all and end all :)
--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: TC
Subject: Posh Office
Date: 4 Nov 2009 10:33:38
Message: <4af19ed2$1@news.povray.org>
> poll at work I stand corrected. The only person I asked who had heard it
> was the office cleaner and she has a degree in fine arts.

Must be quite an office if the cleaning is seen as a fine art  ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Posh Office
Date: 4 Nov 2009 12:37:39
Message: <4af1bbe3@news.povray.org>
TC wrote:
>> poll at work I stand corrected. The only person I asked who had heard it
>> was the office cleaner and she has a degree in fine arts.
>
> Must be quite an office if the cleaning is seen as a fine art  ;-)

I think that Rubens would have thought so :)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Nov 2009 14:07:49
Message: <4af1d105$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 02:24:56 -0500, Tim Cook wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Japanese?  Quenya I knew, since I own that disc (and the films), but I
>> didn't know about Spanish and Loxian (I don't even know where that is
>> from - off to Google it - ah, and I have that album too).  But where
>> does she use Japanese, Spanish, and Welsh?
>
> Japanese - Sumiregusa, track 7 on A Day without Rain (originally used in
> a commercial for Fujitsu a year or so earlier iirc) Spanish - La
> Soñadora, track 10 on The Memory of Trees Welsh - Dan y Dŵr, track 14 on
> Enya/The Celts

Wow, now I need to go grab the discs (or the subsequently ripped MP3s)
and have another listen.  Thanks!

Jim

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>