POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lies, damn lies and statistics : Re: Lies, damn lies and statistics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lies, damn lies and statistics
From: Stephen
Date: 4 Nov 2009 07:20:40
Message: <4af17198$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:

>> You have mentioned this one or two times before ;)
>
> I was afraid so. But if you knew that, why do you cite such obscure
> literature without a footnote in an international forum?

Sorry if I caused you any distress Andrel.
I wrote it because I was replying to Jim and this is Off Topic ;)
When I am at work and writing for my German and Dutch colleagues, I use
clear English but in a social situation I don’t always. I actually
thought that the phrase was quite well known but after doing a straw
poll at work I stand corrected. The only person I asked who had heard it
was the office cleaner and she has a degree in fine arts.
But look on the bright side your knowledge of English Victorian
literature has increased and at the next garden party you attend you can
astound all and sundry.

>>> BTW how did Ellen become Henri?
>>
>> When Miss Ellen Price married Mr. Henry Wood she became known as Mrs.
>> Henry Wood. This was the accepted practice in England in the early
>> 19th century (and even later).
> It was just that I didn't see him mentioned in the wikipedia page, so
> how was I to know?

I was a bit surprised it wasn’t mentioned in Wikipedia, either. But that
is Wikipedia for you. It is not the be all and end all :)
--

Best Regards,
	Stephen