POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Debian "Lenny" griping Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  More Debian "Lenny" griping (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: clipka
Subject: More Debian "Lenny" griping
Date: 30 Oct 2009 18:28:58
Message: <4aeb68aa$1@news.povray.org>
Ah, the world was too well, that's why I had to upgrade to "Lenny"...

Just tried to compile POV-Ray 3.7.0.beta.34 again with the Intel
compiler, only to find that it now aborts compilation with the following
highly informational message:

(0): internal error: backend signals

Now all I managed to find out so far is that this is the Intel
compiler's way of saying "Something's wrong, shouldn't happen"...

Geez, why on earth did I upgrade in the first place?

Maybe I need to do what any sane Windows user would do: Re-install the
Intel compiler...?

Then again, a sane Windows user would probably re-install the whole
system from scratch... after all, what important stuff do I have on the
system that's not neatly placed in my home directory?

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe I need to do what any sane Windows user would do: Re-install the
> Intel compiler...?

Guess what: That didn't help - except that the installer explicitly
warned me that the kernel and library versions are not supported by
Intel icpc 11.0...

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 31 Oct 2009 08:25:48
Message: <4aec2ccc$1@news.povray.org>
clipka schrieb:

>> Maybe I need to do what any sane Windows user would do: Re-install the
>> Intel compiler...?
>>
> Guess what: That didn't help - except that the installer explicitly
> warned me that the kernel and library versions are not supported by
> Intel icpc 11.0...

The good news is, Intel icpc 11.1 does support what I have, and compiles
POV-Ray like a charm again.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 31 Oct 2009 23:25:40
Message: <4aecffb4$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> clipka schrieb:
>
>>> Maybe I need to do what any sane Windows user would do: Re-install
>>> the Intel compiler...?
>>>
>> Guess what: That didn't help - except that the installer explicitly
>> warned me that the kernel and library versions are not supported by
>> Intel icpc 11.0...
>
> The good news is, Intel icpc 11.1 does support what I have, and compiles
> POV-Ray like a charm again.

gcc compiles povray like a charm too.  And it comes included with every
Linux. :P

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 1 Nov 2009 07:27:30
Message: <4aed7eb2@news.povray.org>
nemesis schrieb:
> clipka wrote:

>>> Guess what: That didn't help - except that the installer explicitly
>>> warned me that the kernel and library versions are not supported by
>>> Intel icpc 11.0...
>>
>> The good news is, Intel icpc 11.1 does support what I have, and
>> compiles POV-Ray like a charm again.
>
> gcc compiles povray like a charm too.  And it comes included with every
> Linux. :P

See my recent posting on povray.unix for how the GNU compiler doesn't.

And see Warp's recent posting there, suggesting to use a C++ compiler
instead of a C compiler :-P

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 1 Nov 2009 10:47:27
Message: <4aedad8f$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> nemesis schrieb:
>>> The good news is, Intel icpc 11.1 does support what I have, and
>>> compiles POV-Ray like a charm again.
>>
>> gcc compiles povray like a charm too.  And it comes included with
>> every Linux. :P
>
> See my recent posting on povray.unix for how the GNU compiler doesn't.
>
> And see Warp's recent posting there, suggesting to use a C++ compiler
> instead of a C compiler :-P

g++, sure.  And I remember I just did compile 3.7 beta 33 with it...

well, gotta check out the latest build, if it's been already updated for
Linux...

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 1 Nov 2009 15:31:46
Message: <4aedf032$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis schrieb:

> g++, sure.  And I remember I just did compile 3.7 beta 33 with it...
>
> well, gotta check out the latest build, if it's been already updated for
> Linux...

Yes, the beta.34 source distribution for Linux has been out for quite a
while now (big deal, with beta.35 being a month overdue already...)

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 1 Nov 2009 17:00:01
Message: <web.4aee03e4ae597e0f10944bc90@news.povray.org>
> nemesis schrieb:
>
> > g++, sure.  And I remember I just did compile 3.7 beta 33 with it...
> >
> > well, gotta check out the latest build, if it's been already updated for
> > Linux...
>
> Yes, the beta.34 source distribution for Linux has been out for quite a
> while now (big deal, with beta.35 being a month overdue already...)

You shouldn't do that.  I'm a lazy guy!  That's it, I'll wait one month over...
:P

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 1 Nov 2009 17:14:14
Message: <4aee0836$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis schrieb:

>> Yes, the beta.34 source distribution for Linux has been out for quite a
>> while now (big deal, with beta.35 being a month overdue already...)
>
> You shouldn't do that.  I'm a lazy guy!  That's it, I'll wait one month over...
> :P

Dunno. Maybe you shouldn't hold your breath until beta.35 sees the light
of day /plus/ some more weeks until the Linux code is made available...