POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Opensuse 11 Live CD problem? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:24:40 EDT (-0400)
  Opensuse 11 Live CD problem? (Message 8 to 17 of 27)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: TC
Subject: Re: Opensuse 11 Live CD problem?
Date: 30 Oct 2009 09:41:18
Message: <4aeaecfe$1@news.povray.org>
>  I don't understand why linux would modify the frequency/timings of cpu
> and
> memory, and even if it did, why it would have to modify BIOS to do that.
> (What good would it do to modify BIOS anyways? It would have to re-boot in
> order for the changes to become effective. BIOS is not something which is
> constantly running in the background. It just sets up the hardware and
> starts
> the OS and that's it.)

I thought this to be so, too. I was astonished to see that people seem to
have had some problems with this.

And I was not sure if this is true or not, so I asked.

BTW:

I did try the Ubuntu Live CD and it did reset my computer's clock to either
daylight saving time or universal time - both -1:00, so I cannot be sure
which.

This is no real problem, though, merely a very minor annoyance. Still, this
should not be.

Post a reply to this message

> I did try the Ubuntu Live CD and it did reset my computer's clock to either
> daylight saving time or universal time - both -1:00, so I cannot be sure
> which.
>
> This is no real problem, though, merely a very minor annoyance. Still, this
> should not be.

The Linux Way(tm) seems to be to set the system clock to UTC and compute
local time from that depending on your timezone configuration. (Which,
on a live CD, is probably not set right anyway.) The Windows Way(tm) is
to set the system clock to local time...

Post a reply to this message

>   I don't understand why linux would modify the frequency/timings of cpu and
> memory, and even if it did, why it would have to modify BIOS to do that.
> (What good would it do to modify BIOS anyways? It would have to re-boot in
> order for the changes to become effective. BIOS is not something which is
> constantly running in the background. It just sets up the hardware and starts
> the OS and that's it.)

Well, /nowadays/ that's how it is. Used to be different in DOS times.

Then again, that's quite a long time ago...

Post a reply to this message

> >   I don't understand why linux would modify the frequency/timings of cpu and
> > memory, and even if it did, why it would have to modify BIOS to do that.
> > (What good would it do to modify BIOS anyways? It would have to re-boot in
> > order for the changes to become effective. BIOS is not something which is
> > constantly running in the background. It just sets up the hardware and starts
> > the OS and that's it.)

> Well, /nowadays/ that's how it is. Used to be different in DOS times.

  DOS could change the CPU/memory frequency by modifying BIOS and without
having to reboot?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message