POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What is it? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  What is it? (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: scott
Subject: Re: What is it?
Date: 28 Oct 2009 11:29:40
Message: <4ae86364@news.povray.org>
> Yes. The boat is going along the tracks, and the sonar forms artifacts
> when it's also reflecting off the boat. Stuff like that. I read about it
> somewhere when someone else brought it up, and the boat captain chimed in.

That would make sense.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 28 Oct 2009 11:30:36
Message: <4ae8639c@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Yes. The boat is going along the tracks, and the sonar forms artifacts
> when it's also reflecting off the boat. Stuff like that. I read about it
> somewhere when someone else brought it up, and the boat captain chimed in.

...so the incidence of crossing lines depends on how much shipping is in
the area?

(And these features aren't part of the actual seabed...)

Post a reply to this message

From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 28 Oct 2009 12:07:21
Message: <op.u2ipqn2g7bxctx@bigfrog.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:16:57 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=74.781612,36.914063&spn=4.33208,28.125&t=h&z=6

> How random... Lots of perfectly straight lines, meeting at crisp angles.
> But what on Earth is it?

Most such artificial-looking features in Google's ocean maps are simply
data collection artifacts. Straight lines typically indicate the path of
the boat carrying the sonar equipment. Other artifacts can appear where
low-accuracy satellite-based measurements disagree with the more precise
sonar data.

--
FE

Post a reply to this message