POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source software is always stable Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Open source software is always stable (Message 50 to 59 of 79)
From: Neeum Zawan
Subject: Re: Open source software is always stable
Date: 18 Oct 2009 16:57:14
Message: <4adb812a$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/18/09 14:38, Warp wrote:
>> Not true if time itself is money. I.e. you may "lose" some by wasting
>> hours/days/weeks on OSS software that doesn't end up working.
>
>    How much more do you lose by having to pay software licenses?
>
>    You can't claim that trying an OSS for a few days costs more than eg.
> buying a Windows license for 10 servers, for instance.

	I can somewhat sympathize with his viewpoint. Sometimes the cost of
using OSS isn't apparent after merely a few days. It could be months
after it's been adopted. Usually fixing the problems requires one of
your employees to spend time working on fixing it. And sometimes the
cumulative time spent on such "fixes" is more than if they had just paid
for reliable support (which many OSS projects don't offer). Employee
time is expensive (in terms of money).

--
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:57:24 -0500, Neeum Zawan wrote:

> Sometimes the cost of
> using OSS isn't apparent after merely a few days. It could be months
> after it's been adopted.

That's not unique to OSS, though.

Jim

Post a reply to this message