POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Myths Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Myths (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Invisible
Subject: Myths
Date: 10 Aug 2009 09:19:52
Message: <4a801e78$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.sdtimes.com/blog/post/2009/07/27/Everyonee28099s-talking-about-Haskell.aspx

"Despite its distance from traditional programming, and its relative
lack of common use, Haskell has become one of the most talked-about
languages on the Internet."

Um, WTF? No it hasn't!

If it weren't for the fact that I happen to use Haskell, I would never
have heard of it. And if that sounds like a tautology, I've never used
Python, don't know what Python code even looks like. But I've heard of
it. Ditto for PHP, Ruby, ASP, C# and so on. Never seen any code, never
used them, but I've certainly heard of them. Who the hell has heard of
Haskell?

Post a reply to this message

Everyone? Eddie Haskell was a character on Leave it to Beaver. Doh!

Post a reply to this message

> "Despite its distance from traditional programming, and its relative
> lack of common use, Haskell has become one of the most talked-about
> languages on the Internet."
>
> Um, WTF? No it hasn't!

Well, according to the statistics on www.langpop.org it has. More
talked-about than even C# or Ruby. And you can't argue about statistics,
can you? :P

> If it weren't for the fact that I happen to use Haskell, I would never
> have heard of it. And if that sounds like a tautology, I've never used
> Python, don't know what Python code even looks like. But I've heard of
> it. Ditto for PHP, Ruby, ASP, C# and so on. Never seen any code, never
> used them, but I've certainly heard of them. Who the hell has heard of
> Haskell?

Probably everyone who has ever visited povray.off-topic :P

Actually it seems to me that there's more discussion about Haskell here
than, for instance, PHP, Ruby, Python, Perl, Java, and possibly even C#.

Though I guess the discussions we've seen here only serve the point that
whether a language is *talked* about is quite orthogonal to whether
people consider it any *relevant* :-P

So the statistics can also be interpreted that Haskell is a much more
polarizing topic than other languages of similar relevance - or that it
just happens to be the current favorite subject for programmers' idle
smalltalk (no pun intended) ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>> "Despite its distance from traditional programming, and its relative
>> lack of common use, Haskell has become one of the most talked-about
>> languages on the Internet."
>>
>> Um, WTF? No it hasn't!
>
> Well, according to the statistics on www.langpop.org it has. More
> talked-about than even C# or Ruby. And you can't argue about statistics,
> can you? :P

Heh. Depends on how those statistics are collected. ;-)

 From what I've seen, Lisp, Earlang and Clean get *way* more publicity
than little old Haskell. Even ML is more widely known.

(E.g., XKCD makes several references to Lisp and Python, but never once
mentions Haskell.)

>> Who the hell has heard of Haskell?
>
> Probably everyone who has ever visited povray.off-topic :P

Only after I heard about it. :-P

> Actually it seems to me that there's more discussion about Haskell here
> than, for instance, PHP, Ruby, Python, Perl, Java, and possibly even C#.

Depends on whether you mean "discussion" and in people arguing about the
merits of a given language, or "mention" as in people using its name.
I'd say there is *a lot* more material written about C, C++, C#, Java,
etc. than there is about Haskell. Whether they are "discussed" more is
harder to quantify. Certainly Haskell's name is less widely heard.

> Though I guess the discussions we've seen here only serve the point that
> whether a language is *talked* about is quite orthogonal to whether
> people consider it any *relevant* :-P

And, indeed, being talked about is quite orthogonal to being *used*,
much less being *useful*.

Post a reply to this message

> "Despite its distance from traditional programming, and its relative
> lack of common use, Haskell has become one of the most talked-about
> languages on the Internet."
>
> Um, WTF? No it hasn't!

It is in this newsgroup. We even have two whole subnewsgroups devoted to
it even though this is a server about a totally different language.

Post a reply to this message