POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Myths : Re: Myths Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Myths
From: clipka
Date: 10 Aug 2009 11:42:14
Message: <4a803fd6$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible schrieb:

> "Despite its distance from traditional programming, and its relative
> lack of common use, Haskell has become one of the most talked-about
> languages on the Internet."
>
> Um, WTF? No it hasn't!

Well, according to the statistics on www.langpop.org it has. More
talked-about than even C# or Ruby. And you can't argue about statistics,
can you? :P

> If it weren't for the fact that I happen to use Haskell, I would never
> have heard of it. And if that sounds like a tautology, I've never used
> Python, don't know what Python code even looks like. But I've heard of
> it. Ditto for PHP, Ruby, ASP, C# and so on. Never seen any code, never
> used them, but I've certainly heard of them. Who the hell has heard of
> Haskell?

Probably everyone who has ever visited povray.off-topic :P

Actually it seems to me that there's more discussion about Haskell here
than, for instance, PHP, Ruby, Python, Perl, Java, and possibly even C#.

Though I guess the discussions we've seen here only serve the point that
whether a language is *talked* about is quite orthogonal to whether
people consider it any *relevant* :-P

So the statistics can also be interpreted that Haskell is a much more
polarizing topic than other languages of similar relevance - or that it
just happens to be the current favorite subject for programmers' idle
smalltalk (no pun intended) ;-)