POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Firefox DOS Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  Firefox DOS (Message 1 to 10 of 32)
From: Darren New
Subject: Firefox DOS
Date: 13 Oct 2009 16:45:55
Message: <4ad4e703$1@news.povray.org>
There has to be a way to stop a script that does

while (1) {alert("Ha ha!");}

from making you kill your browser from the taskbar, yes?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Firefox DOS
Date: 13 Oct 2009 17:05:39
Message: <4ad4eba3$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> There has to be a way to stop a script that does
>
> while (1) {alert("Ha ha!");}
>
> from making you kill your browser from the taskbar, yes?

What are you, Nelon?! :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 13 Oct 2009 17:42:56
Message: <4ad4f460$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> There has to be a way to stop a script that does
>>
>> while (1) {alert("Ha ha!");}
>>
>> from making you kill your browser from the taskbar, yes?
>
> What are you, Nelon?! :-P

Huh?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: SharkD
Date: 13 Oct 2009 21:46:30
Message: <4ad52d76@news.povray.org>
On 10/13/2009 4:45 PM, Darren New wrote:
> There has to be a way to stop a script that does
>
> while (1) {alert("Ha ha!");}
>
> from making you kill your browser from the taskbar, yes?

What taskbar???

Post a reply to this message

From: Reactor
Date: 14 Oct 2009 01:20:00
Message: <web.4ad55f6e3b0e893a9e463e20@news.povray.org>
> There has to be a way to stop a script that does
>
> while (1) {alert("Ha ha!");}
>
> from making you kill your browser from the taskbar, yes?
>
> --
>    Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
>    I ordered stamps from Zazzle that read "Place Stamp Here".

I discussed this with my brother once, and we agreed that a modal javascript
alert should only be within a tab.  That way, something silly like that would
lock up all actions in that tab (except the close tab action), but wouldn't
affect other tabs.

We had this discussion back in 2003.  I've made the recommendation before, but I
am yet to see any browser get this right.

-Reactor

Post a reply to this message

> We had this discussion back in 2003.  I've made the recommendation before,
> but I am yet to see any browser get this right.

Even Chrome, which has one process per tab, has window-modal alerts.

Post a reply to this message