POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now *that* would run POV-Ray Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Now *that* would run POV-Ray (Message 11 to 19 of 19)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Now *that* would run POV-Ray
Date: 3 Oct 2009 15:25:56
Message: <4ac7a544@news.povray.org>
> Dual-/quad-core AMD Opterons and a runtime environment including SUSE
> Linux... I guess POV-Ray should even install "out of the box", with no
> need whatsoever to adapt the system-specific config files :-)

  I wonder if POV-Ray 3.7 has ever been tested with that many rendering
threads, and whether it would cope.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 3 Oct 2009 18:38:45
Message: <4ac7d275$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>> Dual-/quad-core AMD Opterons and a runtime environment including SUSE
>> Linux... I guess POV-Ray should even install "out of the box", with no
>> need whatsoever to adapt the system-specific config files :-)
>
>   I wonder if POV-Ray 3.7 has ever been tested with that many rendering
> threads, and whether it would cope.

I presume the machine is essentially a cluster, so not much luck there:
You'll have a huge number of dual- or quad-core machines to crunch away
at a single frame of an animation each, but that'll be about it.
Unfortunately, although 3.7 is SMP-ready, it isn't "network-ready" yet.

Post a reply to this message

> I presume the machine is essentially a cluster, so not much luck there:
> You'll have a huge number of dual- or quad-core machines to crunch away
> at a single frame of an animation each, but that'll be about it.
> Unfortunately, although 3.7 is SMP-ready, it isn't "network-ready" yet.

  I think there's some support in linux to make a cluster look like a
bunch of local processors.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> I presume the machine is essentially a cluster, so not much luck there:
>> You'll have a huge number of dual- or quad-core machines to crunch away
>> at a single frame of an animation each, but that'll be about it.
>> Unfortunately, although 3.7 is SMP-ready, it isn't "network-ready" yet.
>
>   I think there's some support in linux to make a cluster look like a
> bunch of local processors.

If there isn't, Debian have a hacked PVM version of POV-Ray...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/