POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Remember that "Could you be a US citizen" thread" Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Remember that "Could you be a US citizen" thread" (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Remember that "Could you be a US citizen" thread"
Date: 28 Sep 2009 00:48:22
Message: <4ac04016$1@news.povray.org>
There's some interesting (if basic) analysis at 538 suggesting that the
results of the survey were fake anyway:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/09/are-oklahoma-students-really-this-dumb.html

It looks relatively convincing to me, so good news! Oklahoma students
aren't in quite that bad shape.

There's an analysis of the analysis here:

http://blog.smellthedata.com/2009/09/analysis-of-pollster-fraud-and-oklahoma.html

But at the very least it seems quite fishy that none of the 1000
students were able to get more than 7 out of the 10 questions right.
There's some further arguments at 538 as well for those interested:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/09/strategic-vision-polls-exhibit-unusual.html
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/09/comparison-study-unusual-patterns-in.html

Post a reply to this message

"Kevin Wampler" <wam### [at] uwashingtonedu> wrote in message
> There's some interesting (if basic) analysis at 538 suggesting that the
> results of the survey were fake anyway:
>
> http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/09/are-oklahoma-students-really-this-dumb.html
>
> It looks relatively convincing to me, so good news! Oklahoma students
> aren't in quite that bad shape.
>

> There's an analysis of the analysis here:
>
> http://blog.smellthedata.com/2009/09/analysis-of-pollster-fraud-and-oklahoma.html
>
> But at the very least it seems quite fishy that none of the 1000 students
> were able to get more than 7 out of the 10 questions right. There's some
> further arguments at 538 as well for those interested:
>
> http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/09/strategic-vision-polls-exhibit-unusual.html
> http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/09/comparison-study-unusual-patterns-in.html

I did see that an Oklahoma student had commented that the
test results were correct, and that his fellow students were willfully
stupid. Essentially there was a lot of peer pressure to fail or
ignore tests, and that probably means that the results are not a
valid measure of knowledge. Instead, the results indicate a
failure of the teachers.

Someone should tell the kids that if they don't take learning
more seriously people will think they're all retards.

Post a reply to this message

> Someone should tell the kids that if they don't take learning
> more seriously people will think they're all retards.

What makes you think they would listen?

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

>> Someone should tell the kids that if they don't take learning
>> more seriously people will think they're all retards.
>
> What makes you think they would listen?

It's just psychology, a fair dose of derision and they'll work
hard to prove you are wrong, or drop out, but if they don't
want to learn that's no real loss. Teachers aren't supposed
to change kids diapers.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 29 Sep 2009 08:33:15
Message: <4ac1fe8b@news.povray.org>
"Kevin Wampler" <wam### [at] uwashingtonedu> wrote in message
> There's some interesting (if basic) analysis at 538 suggesting that the
> results of the survey were fake anyway:
>
> http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/09/are-oklahoma-students-really-this-dumb.html
>
> It looks relatively convincing to me, so good news! Oklahoma students
> aren't in quite that bad shape.

I only got around 8 or 9 correct.  I'm not familiar with the phrase, "The
supreme law of the land".  It's just not anything I ever remember hearing.
Maybe I wasn't paying attention.  But now I'll probably notice it a lot.
The other one was Thomas Jefferson writing the Declaration of Independence.
That was my best guess and I would have written it down, but I definitely
was not sure of myself.  I don't specifically recall that.

So...  I guess I'm really that dumb.  Give me a straight "B".

As someone pointed out, if this was not a multiple choice test, it's quite
possible that no one got more than 7 correct.  I wonder how schools in my
home state of Michigan would fair.

Post a reply to this message

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 29 Sep 2009 12:21:35
Message: <4ac2340f@news.povray.org>
On 09/29/09 05:47, Tim Attwood wrote:
>>> Someone should tell the kids that if they don't take learning
>>> more seriously people will think they're all retards.
>>
>> What makes you think they would listen?
>>
> It's just psychology, a fair dose of derision and they'll work hard to
> prove you are wrong, or drop out, but if they don't
> want to learn that's no real loss. Teachers aren't supposed
> to change kids diapers.

	Nor are they supposed to deride.

	I suspect if most kids were treated like retards, they'll happily
oblige. I went to two high schools. In one, the students were treated
like they treat grade school kids, and so most students acted that way.
In the other, they were treated a bit better, and they were more mature.

--
My sister opened a computer store in Hawaii. She sells C shells down by
the seashore.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 29 Sep 2009 12:35:08
Message: <4ac2373c$1@news.povray.org>
Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay wrote:
> The other one was Thomas Jefferson writing the Declaration of Independence.

Yeah, I didn't remember if it was Adams or Jefferson either. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Stephen
Date: 29 Sep 2009 14:32:50
Message: <qlk4c59q74tvmdkprq8vrb6lsn3588unre@4ax.com>
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:21:38 -0500, Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:

>My sister opened a computer store in Hawaii. She sells C shells down by
>the seashore.

Groan!
:-)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 29 Sep 2009 14:36:47
Message: <irk4c55m9k6na2l3geenc1d5k2ti9ljue9@4ax.com>
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:37:16 -0400, "Jeremy \"UncleHoot\" Praay"
<jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote:

>I only got around 8 or 9 correct.

I only got one wrong (#2) and I'm not even American. Go figure! :lol:
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 1 Oct 2009 01:12:57
Message: <4ac43a59$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay wrote:
>> The other one was Thomas Jefferson writing the Declaration of
>> Independence.
>
> Yeah, I didn't remember if it was Adams or Jefferson either. :-)

Literally Jefferson, but I believe than Adams and Franklin assisted him
with it.

...Chambers