POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming language development Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:24:29 EDT (-0400)
  Programming language development (Message 51 to 60 of 108)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Programming language development
Date: 2 Oct 2009 13:22:11
Message: <4ac636c3$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> It's fine for the details. But try to document (say) the BSD interface
> to TCP by documenting only the listen(), accept(), bind(), and connect()
> calls. Without understanding what an IP address is, or a socket, or how
> DNS works, etc you're still not going to win.
>
> Or take something like a big windowing system, or a 3D graphics system,
> or a physics library, and try to document *just* the routines without
> documenting the architecture of the system.  You'll spend three days
> trying to find out where to start reading the documentation.

Ah yes... This is how I tried to learn OpenGL. (By reading function
descriptions, that is.) It's not very easy...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 2 Oct 2009 13:23:04
Message: <4ac636f8$1@news.povray.org>
>> As far as I can tell, 98% of all security issues are buffer overruns -
>> trivially fixable, yet nobody seems to think it's necessary.
>
> The three biggest are buffer overruns, SQL injection, and XSS injection.

Not for desktop applications, I'd suspect. (Injection attacks are
typically more applicable to websites.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/