POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More cows Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  More cows (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: More cows
Date: 24 Sep 2009 00:39:25
Message: <4abaf7fd$1@news.povray.org>
http://practical-tech.com/entertainment/two-cow-jokes-the-science-fiction-ones/

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: More cows
Date: 24 Sep 2009 07:27:04
Message: <4abb5788$1@news.povray.org>
Half of these don't make sense. (But then, in the case of Dune, that's
probably the idea.)

Still, the few that do are quite good...

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 24 Sep 2009 08:25:01
Message: <web.4abb641354b8f2076dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Half of these don't make sense. (But then, in the case of Dune, that's
> probably the idea.)

Makes perfect sense if you've read Dune. On the other hand, that particular one
is not a very good Two Cows joke...

Post a reply to this message

>> Half of these don't make sense. (But then, in the case of Dune, that's
>> probably the idea.)
>
> Makes perfect sense if you've read Dune. On the other hand, that particular one
> is not a very good Two Cows joke...

I've never read Dune, but I've seen the film. It has an almost
unparalleled level of incomprehensibility. (Although unlike, say, 2001,
it gives you the impression that it *could* potentially make sense if
you understood it.)

Post a reply to this message

> I've never read Dune, but I've seen the film. It has an almost
> unparalleled level of incomprehensibility. (Although unlike, say, 2001,
> it gives you the impression that it *could* potentially make sense if
> you understood it.)

Dune made more sense than 2001 ....
--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> I've never read Dune, but I've seen the film. It has an almost
> unparalleled level of incomprehensibility. (Although unlike, say, 2001,
> it gives you the impression that it *could* potentially make sense if
> you understood it.)

Hmm, if you could remember most of the dialogue from the film, that Cow joke
would probably still make sense. Better to read it though. The film doesn't
really do it justice.

(The film *could* have been great though - a lot of the visual detail was spot
on, and there were loads of references to events/information that never made it
to the released cut - but the studio strongarmed Lynch and turned it into a bit
of a mess.)

Post a reply to this message

>> I've never read Dune, but I've seen the film. It has an almost
>> unparalleled level of incomprehensibility. (Although unlike, say,
>> 2001, it gives you the impression that it *could* potentially make
>> sense if you understood it.)
>
> Dune made more sense than 2001 ....

...which is what I just said, yes. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:35:18 EDT, "Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

>Hmm, if you could remember most of the dialogue from the film, that Cow joke
>would probably still make sense. Better to read it though. The film doesn't
>really do it justice.

Yeah! But double or triple the time. It was cut too much in my opinion. Just
look at the cast:

Linda Hunt, Alicia Witt and even Sting.

>(The film *could* have been great though - a lot of the visual detail was spot
>on, and there were loads of references to events/information that never made it
>to the released cut - but the studio strongarmed Lynch and turned it into a bit
>of a mess.)

I bet it was "money"
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> I've never read Dune, but I've seen the film. It has an almost
>> unparalleled level of incomprehensibility. (Although unlike, say, 2001,
>> it gives you the impression that it *could* potentially make sense if
>> you understood it.)
>
>Dune made more sense than 2001 ....

2001 was for those that read the story before seeing the film.
Tough luck on the youngsters :P
--

Regards
     Stephen