POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Some math problems Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Some math problems (Message 1 to 10 of 32)
From: Warp
Subject: Some math problems
Date: 22 Sep 2009 13:10:56
Message: <4ab90520@news.povray.org>
Some relatively easy math problems for your consideration and enjoyment:

  1) The classical proof that there are infinitely many primes is a proof by
contradiction: Let's assume that there's a largest prime. If we multiply
all the primes up to that largest prime and add 1, we get a number which
is not divisible by any of the primes, and thus the assumption we made is
false: There was a prime which is larger than the one we assumed was the
largest.

  However, consider this: 2*3*5*7*11*13 + 1 = 30031, which is a composite
number.

  Isn't this a contradiction to the proof? It clearly doesn't hold that the
product of the first n primes plus 1 is a prime.

  How to explain this apparent contradiction?

  2) Assume you have an array of 24 integers. Each element of that array
can get a value between 0 and 7. Thus the total amount of different contents
for such as an array is 8^24, which is approximately 4*10^21.

  Now assume that you fill the array with some values and then calculate
all the possible permutations of that array. The amount of permutations
for 24 elements is 24!, which is approximately 6*10^23.

  Now here's the apparent paradox: The total amount of different contents is
about 4*10^21, and naturally all those permutations should be among them as
well. How come the total amount of permutations, 6*10^23, is way larger
than the total amount of possible different array contents?

  3) Assume two people, person A and person B, who want to decide who gets
a price by tossing a coin.

  Person A is a bad loser and a bully, so if he loses he says "I said it's
two out of three". So they play it like that. If A loses again, he says
"I said it's three out of five", and so on, until he wins.

  How many tosses is this game expected to last, in average?

  4) By their nature, factorials tend to accumulate trailing zeroes. For
example, 5! (120) has one trailing zero, 10! (3628800) has two trailing
zeroes, 25! (15511210043330985984000000) has six trailing zeroes, etc.

  Give a (non-recursive) mathematical function which, for an integer n,
gives the number of trailing zeroes in n!.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   1) The classical proof that there are infinitely many primes is a proof by
>   How to explain this apparent contradiction?

Oh, I like that. That took a while to figure out.

>   2) Assume you have an array of 24 integers. Each element of that array

That one's easy. :-)

>   How many tosses is this game expected to last, in average?

Boring. :-)

>   Give a (non-recursive) mathematical function which, for an integer n,
> gives the number of trailing zeroes in n!.

Cute, and not too difficult, I'm thinking.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>   1) The classical proof that there are infinitely many primes is a proof by
> contradiction: Let's assume that there's a largest prime. If we multiply
> all the primes up to that largest prime and add 1, we get a number which
> is not divisible by any of the primes, and thus the assumption we made is
> false: There was a prime which is larger than the one we assumed was the
> largest.
>
>   However, consider this: 2*3*5*7*11*13 + 1 = 30031, which is a composite
> number.
>
>   Isn't this a contradiction to the proof? It clearly doesn't hold that the
> product of the first n primes plus 1 is a prime.
>
>   How to explain this apparent contradiction?

The answer lies (as I look at that bit of the wikipedia article on
primes) in that there exists a prime smaller than 30031 by which it's
divisible that's also larger than 13, so 13 isn't the largest prime.

>   2) Assume you have an array of 24 integers. Each element of that array
> can get a value between 0 and 7. Thus the total amount of different contents
> for such as an array is 8^24, which is approximately 4*10^21.
>
>   Now assume that you fill the array with some values and then calculate
> all the possible permutations of that array. The amount of permutations
> for 24 elements is 24!, which is approximately 6*10^23.
>
>   Now here's the apparent paradox: The total amount of different contents is
> about 4*10^21, and naturally all those permutations should be among them as
> well. How come the total amount of permutations, 6*10^23, is way larger
> than the total amount of possible different array contents?

The total amount of permutations doesn't consider duplicate cell values.
  It treats 77 and 77 (with the 7s being swapped) as two different numbers.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message