POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Some math problems Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Some math problems (Message 23 to 32 of 32)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Some math problems
Date: 23 Sep 2009 19:32:50
Message: <4abab022$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>> I think that very much depends on whether the sequence is
>
>>    1 - 3 - 5 - 7 -  9 - ...
>
>> or
>
>>    1 - 3 - 5 - 9 - 17 - ...
>
>   How would "four out of nine" work? If there are nine tosses, four wins
> wouldn't yet be decisive.
>
>   Of course it's "4 out of 7", "5 out of 9", "6 out of 11" and so on.

Who says that the bloke will demand 4 out of anything, and not just skip
on to 5 out of 9 ?

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 24 Sep 2009 02:12:26
Message: <4abb0dca$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Some relatively easy math problems for your consideration and enjoyment:
>

>   1)

Key phrase: "not divisible by any *of the* primes"

>   2)

Some of the permutations will be repeat the same sequence.

>   3)

This value is bounded below by:

	(1/4) * sum_{i=1:inf} 1/sqrt(i)

Which diverges, so the expected length of the game is infinite.

>   4)

I don't see how this is possible to give in closed form unless you allow
the ability to sum the digits in the base-5 representation of a number
(which you'd need a recursion or summation to do).  If you actually know
a closed form that doesn't use a cheat like this I'd be curious to hear it.

Post a reply to this message

> >   The game starts with "1 out of 2" (regular coin toss).

> Isn't that "1 out of 1"?

  Yes. I got confused.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> >> I think that very much depends on whether the sequence is
> >
> >>    1 - 3 - 5 - 7 -  9 - ...
> >
> >> or
> >
> >>    1 - 3 - 5 - 9 - 17 - ...
> >
> >   How would "four out of nine" work? If there are nine tosses, four wins
> > wouldn't yet be decisive.
> >
> >   Of course it's "4 out of 7", "5 out of 9", "6 out of 11" and so on.

> Who says that the bloke will demand 4 out of anything, and not just skip
> on to 5 out of 9 ?

  While he is at it, while not skip directly to 1000 out of 1999?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message