POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shamelessly lazy question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:08 EDT (-0400)
  Shamelessly lazy question (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Paul Fuller
Subject: Re: Shamelessly lazy question
Date: 12 Sep 2009 10:46:26
Message: <4aabb442@news.povray.org>
Jim,

I have experience with that sort of application.

In one case I have a C# program that downloads share data from a certain
site.  One file per day in CSV format.  The format of the file has
varied over time so the program does some cleansing.  The raw data is
then loaded to a database where the heavy duty work starts.

Doing something like day to day deltas and producing a report or data
extract to be distributed is easy from there.  My main product is a
database query and reporting tool that can work on pretty much all DBMSs
/ data sources (including Excel (.XLS) and .CSV).  It includes a script
language suitable for automating exactly this sort of process.  Results
can be produced in various formats including Excel, CSV and PDF.  An
email script command can send results out.

Give me some sample data (say 3 days worth) and I'll mock something up.
  Don't know if a custom application or the general purpose tool is the
way to go without seeing some data.

I have done things like this in Excel using VBA.  C# or VB.Net are so
much richer that I wouldn't contemplate using VBA any more.

Regards,

Paul

Post a reply to this message