POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Caster Semenya's gender Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Caster Semenya's gender (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Subject: Caster Semenya's gender
Date: 9 Sep 2009 09:05:19
Message: <4aa7a80f$1@news.povray.org>
I've been following this story to some extent.  It's just a fascinating
story.

When I was younger, I used to visit a church (where I met my wife :-) ), and
there was a little girl there, who at the time was 2 or 3 years old.  Well,
that was about 20 years ago, and I hadn't heard from any of that family
until very recently.  The little girl grew up, of course.  Apparently, while
she was growing up, she noticed certain changes "down there".  Without even
telling her parents, she went to the doctor.  At some point, I don't know
exactly when, she found out that she was actually genetically male.  Within
a few years, it started to become very obvious.  Eventually she had surgery
to close up what appeared to be a female body cavity, and then changed her
name and began living as a man, which she always had been to begin with, but
no one knew it.  "He" is now married.  I have no idea if having children is
a possibility.

I can't imagine what it would be like to go through something like that.  In
the above story, the family was accused of horrible, untrue things by some
members of their church.  They eventually were forced to leave.  Ignorance
and fear apparently drove them out.  But, having been through that, they all
seem better for it.  Who wants to live with the ignorant and fearful?  The
family seems more well-adjusted now, than they were before.

So, it's possible that Caster Semenya is not even aware that she is actually
male.  What a shock that would be!  If so, I feel sorry for him, since he
can probably say goodbye to elite sports competition.

Post a reply to this message

> I've been following this story to some extent.  It's just a fascinating
> story.
>
> When I was younger, I used to visit a church (where I met my wife :-) ), and
> there was a little girl there, who at the time was 2 or 3 years old.  Well,
> that was about 20 years ago, and I hadn't heard from any of that family
> until very recently.  The little girl grew up, of course.  Apparently, while
> she was growing up, she noticed certain changes "down there".  Without even
> telling her parents, she went to the doctor.  At some point, I don't know
> exactly when, she found out that she was actually genetically male.  Within
> a few years, it started to become very obvious.  Eventually she had surgery
> to close up what appeared to be a female body cavity, and then changed her
> name and began living as a man, which she always had been to begin with, but
> no one knew it.  "He" is now married.  I have no idea if having children is
> a possibility.

Since that sounds mostly physiological and not genetic, children would
just be a matter of having the plumbing correct. I would not even dare
to speculate if that were the case, since any physical disturbance could
have caused more massive internal disorders. I am glad to hear the
gentleman is grown up and happy.

> I can't imagine what it would be like to go through something like that.  In
> the above story, the family was accused of horrible, untrue things by some
> members of their church.  They eventually were forced to leave.  Ignorance
> and fear apparently drove them out.  But, having been through that, they all
> seem better for it.  Who wants to live with the ignorant and fearful?  The
> family seems more well-adjusted now, than they were before.

If the families don't get the blame, the doctors will. Because most
people want to believe gender is as simple as XX or XY. No Klinefelter,
no 49,XXXXX, no mosaic genetic structures, no AIS at all. But, the most
common genetic disorders, like 47,XYY don't present with obvious changes
to phenotype.

If wiki is your thing, start with either
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosome_abnormalities or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersexual but neither are safe for work
unless you work around graphical medical diagrams.

> So, it's possible that Caster Semenya is not even aware that she is actually
> male.  What a shock that would be!  If so, I feel sorry for him, since he
> can probably say goodbye to elite sports competition.

I hate to be a downer on this, but it could be that parents know and she
doesn't. See: John/Joan case by Doctor Money.

And then, after you as either intrigued or sick to your stomach that he
got away with that and caused reassignment surgeries to be common for
any major birth defect over the next 30 years, read up on a guy named
David Reimer, the child in the John/Joan study.

The whole gender in sports thing makes me sick. The medical community on
one side saying that 'if a child has enough hormonally wrong with them,
we should reassign their gender at birth. And if we can get away with
it, never tell the parents or the child.' Meanwhile, society goes on
with the fear and hate of anything too complex to shove into two
separate boxes.

I know, way off on a tangent. Here is hoping the woman is genetically a
woman, and can just show how silly the whole 'his and hers world
records' really are.

Post a reply to this message