POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Caster Semenya's gender : Caster Semenya's gender Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Caster Semenya's gender
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 9 Sep 2009 09:05:19
Message: <4aa7a80f$1@news.povray.org>
I've been following this story to some extent.  It's just a fascinating
story.

When I was younger, I used to visit a church (where I met my wife :-) ), and
there was a little girl there, who at the time was 2 or 3 years old.  Well,
that was about 20 years ago, and I hadn't heard from any of that family
until very recently.  The little girl grew up, of course.  Apparently, while
she was growing up, she noticed certain changes "down there".  Without even
telling her parents, she went to the doctor.  At some point, I don't know
exactly when, she found out that she was actually genetically male.  Within
a few years, it started to become very obvious.  Eventually she had surgery
to close up what appeared to be a female body cavity, and then changed her
name and began living as a man, which she always had been to begin with, but
no one knew it.  "He" is now married.  I have no idea if having children is
a possibility.

I can't imagine what it would be like to go through something like that.  In
the above story, the family was accused of horrible, untrue things by some
members of their church.  They eventually were forced to leave.  Ignorance
and fear apparently drove them out.  But, having been through that, they all
seem better for it.  Who wants to live with the ignorant and fearful?  The
family seems more well-adjusted now, than they were before.

So, it's possible that Caster Semenya is not even aware that she is actually
male.  What a shock that would be!  If so, I feel sorry for him, since he
can probably say goodbye to elite sports competition.