POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:13:29 EDT (-0400)
  Mysteries of the universe (Message 41 to 50 of 223)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Mysteries of the universe
Date: 3 Sep 2009 05:13:51
Message: <4a9f88cf$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I was thinking more of when everything has been covered in a
>> continuous layer of water...
>
> Are you sure that every part between the pylon structure and the cable
> can get wet to form a continuous path?  It seems to me like part of the
> design of the insulator is to keep other parts dry:
>
> http://en.wikivisual.com/images/3/33/Pylon.detail.arp.750pix.jpg

How do you figure that?

> Even if it does *all* get wet, it's going to be a really thin layer of
> water, and even non-pure water is not a particularly good conductor, if
> you do the math the resistance probably comes out pretty huge.

You're aware that those cables are carrying several *million* volts?

Still, perhaps all that current would just vapourise the water - and
then it wouldn't be there any more...

> BTW, that photo also shows the dampers attached on the cables either
> side of the fixing point.

Well, this stuff clearly works - it's just a mystery to me *why* it
works. ;-)

Post a reply to this message