POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Mysteries of the universe (Message 31 to 40 of 223)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Mysteries of the universe
Date: 3 Sep 2009 04:43:31
Message: <4a9f81b3@news.povray.org>
> I was thinking more of when everything has been covered in a continuous
> layer of water...

Are you sure that every part between the pylon structure and the cable can
get wet to form a continuous path?  It seems to me like part of the design
of the insulator is to keep other parts dry:

http://en.wikivisual.com/images/3/33/Pylon.detail.arp.750pix.jpg

Even if it does *all* get wet, it's going to be a really thin layer of
water, and even non-pure water is not a particularly good conductor, if you
do the math the resistance probably comes out pretty huge.

BTW, that photo also shows the dampers attached on the cables either side of
the fixing point.

Post a reply to this message