POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mysteries of the universe : Re: Mysteries of the universe Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mysteries of the universe
From: Stephen
Date: 3 Sep 2009 05:06:56
Message: <bo1v95hjfhh2vkjlr2fcmmds7clq0sta4u@4ax.com>
On 3 Sep 2009 04:56:16 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom> wrote:
>> Because they are uninsulated.
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission
>
>  I don't get it. Is that rubber around the cables a non-insulator?
>I don't see bare copper here:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Electric_transmission_lines.jpg

You won't see copper as aluminium is used. KISS I assume that rubber or a man
made insulator would deteriate over time in such exposed conditions. Also as
Scott said the cables are under a lot of tension that would add to the cost of
connecting them without dammaging the insulation.
I have worked on underwater equipment (not power transmission) and I can tell
you that it is not easy to keep water out of things. So it is much simplier and
cheaper for overhead cables to be left bare and make sure that there is a lot of
space between them.
--

Regards
     Stephen