POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle dreams Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:42 EDT (-0400)
  Idle dreams (Message 31 to 40 of 60)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Idle dreams
Date: 28 Aug 2009 05:25:12
Message: <4a97a278@news.povray.org>
>> I meant that it's sad that we don't have RAM that can perform as fast
>> as the CPU itself.
>>
>> [Or rather... I guess we do, since that must be what they make the L1
>> cache out of. But the L1 cache is tiny, so...]
>
> And, most importantly, it is very close to the CPU.
>
> It's a cost/benefit thing, for $X how do you make the fastest computer?
> The answer is to have a big slab of slow RAM, and progressively smaller
> bits of faster RAM.  Trying to do it another way will not make the
> fastest machine for a given amount of money.

It just seems slightly crazy having a CPU that's hundreds of times
faster than RAM, and using caching is a trick to try to hide this
inescapable fact.

I wonder... if money was no object, *could* you actually have a 1GB L1
cache?? Or is it actually not possible for some other reason?

Post a reply to this message