POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Parallel processing Server Time
8 Oct 2024 21:58:55 EDT (-0400)
  Parallel processing (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Parallel processing
Date: 27 Aug 2009 17:12:42
Message: <4a96f6ca$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 escreveu:
>> FP languages have been around for decades, and never gone anywhere.
>
> Never had a chance in a heavily imperative mindset built around
> sequential Turing machines.

I don't think it was the mindset as much as it was the hardware.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 27 Aug 2009 17:17:21
Message: <4a96f7e1$1@news.povray.org>
>>> FP languages have been around for decades, and never gone anywhere.
>>
>> Never had a chance in a heavily imperative mindset built around
>> sequential Turing machines.
>
> I don't think it was the mindset as much as it was the hardware.

Indeed. A Turning machine is a *machine*. It's readily obvious how you'd
implement it, or something resembling it.

The Lambda calculus isn't a machine. It's a vague mathematical
abstraction. It's not at all obvious how you'd use it in the real world.
It's a language, not a machine for running a language.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Indeed. A Turning machine is a *machine*. It's readily obvious how you'd implement
it, or something resembling it.

Kind of vice versa, really.

> It's a language, not a machine for running a language.

Well, you could imagine a machine to do it. Just hard to figure out how
you'd build such a thing.