POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's a fact Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  It's a fact (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Invisible
Subject: It's a fact
Date: 26 Aug 2009 06:46:39
Message: <4a95128f@news.povray.org>
Fact: Staring at hex dumps makes your eyes go weird after a while. O_O

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: It's a fact
Date: 26 Aug 2009 09:10:30
Message: <4a953446$1@news.povray.org>
I've just been reading

http://www.pkware.com/documents/casestudies/APPNOTE.TXT

which contains the specification of the file format used by PKZIP.
(Otherwise known as a "zip file".)

Jesus, this file format is so old and crufty! >_< Talk about lame...

Anyway, on line 554 we find the following:

       compression method: (2 bytes)

           (see accompanying documentation for algorithm
           descriptions)

           0 - The file is stored (no compression)
           1 - The file is Shrunk
           2 - The file is Reduced with compression factor 1
           3 - The file is Reduced with compression factor 2
           4 - The file is Reduced with compression factor 3
           5 - The file is Reduced with compression factor 4
           6 - The file is Imploded
           7 - Reserved for Tokenizing compression algorithm
           8 - The file is Deflated
           9 - Enhanced Deflating using Deflate64(tm)
          10 - PKWARE Data Compression Library Imploding (old IBM TERSE)
          11 - Reserved by PKWARE
          12 - File is compressed using BZIP2 algorithm
          13 - Reserved by PKWARE
          14 - LZMA (EFS)
          15 - Reserved by PKWARE
          16 - Reserved by PKWARE
          17 - Reserved by PKWARE
          18 - File is compressed using IBM TERSE (new)
          19 - IBM LZ77 z Architecture (PFS)
          97 - WavPack compressed data
          98 - PPMd version I, Rev 1

It's not actually 100% clear whether these codes are decimal or
hexdecimal. But either way, I have a Zip file with nothing seems to be
able to read, and all the files are compressed with method 0x0063.
(That's 99 decimal.)

So I guess that's why nothing can read this Zip file then...

Man, spending a day staring at hex dumps is no fun at all! >_<

Post a reply to this message

> It's not actually 100% clear whether these codes are decimal or
> hexdecimal. But either way, I have a Zip file with nothing seems to be
> able to read, and all the files are compressed with method 0x0063.
> (That's 99 decimal.)

Did you try the latest version of WinZip?

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:10:30 +0200, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> It's not actually 100% clear whether these codes are decimal or
> hexdecimal. But either way, I have a Zip file with nothing seems to be
> able to read, and all the files are compressed with method 0x0063.
> (That's 99 decimal.)
>
> So I guess that's why nothing can read this Zip file then...

GIYF

http://www.winzip.com/aes_info.htm

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

> Did you try the latest version of WinZip?

No - for the obvious reason that this would require money.

Post a reply to this message

>> all the files are compressed with method 0x0063.
>>
>> So I guess that's why nothing can read this Zip file then...
>
> GIYF
>
> http://www.winzip.com/aes_info.htm

Hmm, that also explains the 0x9901 extra record tag I keep seeing.

So it's just AES encrypted? I'm surprised 7zip can't handle that...

Post a reply to this message