POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflecting (and bent) torus on checkered plane Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Reflecting (and bent) torus on checkered plane (Message 72 to 81 of 81)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Reflecting (and bent) torus on checkered plane
Date: 3 Sep 2009 03:37:56
Message: <4a9f7254$1@news.povray.org>
>> Then if he really wants a monopoly on the postcard selling market (maybe
>> he doesn't), he shouldn't put the object in a public place (where anyone
>> is free to make their own postcard with a camera and printer).
>
> It doesn't work that way.

Any examples where people were successfully prosecuted for doing stuff with
publically available works and making money from it?

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 3 Sep 2009 11:10:12
Message: <4a9fdc54@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Any examples where people were successfully prosecuted for doing stuff
> with publically available works and making money from it?

Not offhand, but feel free to look it up yourself.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> Any examples where people were successfully prosecuted for doing stuff
> with publically available works and making money from it?

Oh, actually, yeah. Bands performing music in public. Bars broadcasting
radio. Even music-on-hold taken off the radio. All kinds of stuff like that.

And the Sony v Betamax suit wasn't won on the grounds that the content was
broadcast over the air, but that it was fair use. If you started
distributing those tapes, you'd be in trouble.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)