POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fiction sought, bis Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Fiction sought, bis (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Darren New
Subject: Fiction sought, bis
Date: 23 Aug 2009 21:59:34
Message: <4a91f406$1@news.povray.org>
I also like stories like Niven writes, wherein there's a mystery that's
worked out that isn't necessarily about people. Stuff like the Beowulf
Schaffer stories, or the "Inherit the Stars" (Hogan) kind of story, where
there's a big mystery not even involving motives or emotions, but it all
makes sense in the end. I guess it's a connection to my enjoyment of
adventure-style games as well.

Any suggestions there?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe

Post a reply to this message

> I also like stories like Niven writes, wherein there's a mystery that's
> worked out that isn't necessarily about people.

Robert Sawyer does this kind of thing too to a lesser extent. Sometimes he
doesn't actually resolve it, sometimes the problem/puzzle is very simple (in
which case it reads like Heinlein children's books), but he's always
entertaining.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe
    via religion is like understanding the
     structure of computers via Tron.

Post a reply to this message

> I also like stories like Niven writes, wherein there's a mystery that's
> worked out that isn't necessarily about people. Stuff like the Beowulf
> Schaffer stories

Also some of my favourites of all time. I never get bored of these. I take it
you're therefore well-versed in Niven's entire oeuvre? The Gil the ARM stories
are also excellent.

Post a reply to this message