POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Basterds (spoiler-free) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Basterds (spoiler-free) (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Chambers
Subject: Basterds (spoiler-free)
Date: 22 Aug 2009 20:25:07
Message: <4a908c63$1@news.povray.org>
So, we saw "Inglourious Basterds" last night (yes, the spelling is
intentional).  Great movie :)

It's a revisionist piece of historical fiction set in WWII about a group
of Jewish-American soldiers who set out to scalp Nazis, and a Nazi
officer in France tasked with hunting down the Jews who are in hiding.
The film is directed by Quentin Tarantino, and is probably his best work
since "Pulp Fiction."

It takes a few small liberties with history (and one big one near the
end), but mostly focuses on a few key characters.

It's not an action movie, in that the action scenes are quite sparse.
This is NOT "Kill GI Bill" or anything like that - Tarantino, instead,
focused on using dialogue to build tension and advance the plot.

In fact, for a movie like this, there is surprisingly little plot with a
large amount of dialogue.  Yet, the audience never gets bored or loses
interest.  I've heard it said that Tarantino is a better writer than
director; in this movie, he shows just how strong his writing is.

What action is present in the movie, is preceded wonderfully by tension
and suspense.  This is a movie where you can sit on the edge of your
seat for 15 minutes, watching two men sit at a table and having a drink,
only to have that tension released by 5 seconds of brutal violence.
Then, it begins building again for the next scene.0

As much as I liked "District 9", I think "Inglourious Basterds" wins out
for August's best film.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

> focused on using dialogue to build tension and advance the plot.

  You mean Tarantino has made some movie where dialogue is not the essential
core of the movie?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message