POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I have a great idea! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  I have a great idea! (Message 31 to 37 of 37)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: I have a great idea!
Date: 24 Aug 2009 12:31:26
Message: <4a92c05e@news.povray.org>
Chambers escreveu:
> clipka wrote:
>> nemesis schrieb:
>>> At least until very recently V-Ray used regular biased backwards
>>> raytracing with
>>> photon mapping, except incredibly optimized.  Perhaps those speckles
>>> in the
>>> video have simply something to do with the GPU calculating an insane
>>> amount of
>>> rays and rendering pixels out of order?
>>
>> Well, maybe they're artifacts of the photon mapping; that would appear
>> to be quite fitting.
>
> They're artifacts of forward based monte-carlo GI.

isn't Photon Mapping a forward-based monte-carlo GI technique itself?

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Aug 2009 14:37:25
Message: <4a92dde5$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:16:00 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 11:59:31 -0400, Warp wrote:
>
>> >   I'm wondering if they are proud about being approximately the only
>> > website in the entire internet which doesn't work in Linux.
>
>> Worked fine here on openSUSE 11.1.
>
>   How? It refuses to play here. It just gives that message.

It just worked here.  I have the latest version of Flash installed from
the Adobe website.

But I just visited the page, told noscript to allow scripts on the page,
and it just worked.  No magic or anything. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>>> Well, maybe they're artifacts of the photon mapping; that would
>>> appear to be quite fitting.
>>
>> They're artifacts of forward based monte-carlo GI.
>
> isn't Photon Mapping a forward-based monte-carlo GI technique itself?

I guess it does qualify.

Well, it's a bidirectional approach actually; but I can't possibly
imagine that VRay would use /full-fledged/ forward tracing either.

Post a reply to this message

>>> They're artifacts of forward based monte-carlo GI.
>>
>> isn't Photon Mapping a forward-based monte-carlo GI technique itself?
>
> I guess it does qualify.
>
> Well, it's a bidirectional approach actually; but I can't possibly
> imagine that VRay would use /full-fledged/ forward tracing either.

Mental Ray and V-Ray use essentially the photon mapping technique, not
just for caustics.