POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  What do you think? (Message 21 to 30 of 87)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: What do you think?
Date: 13 Aug 2009 16:35:22
Message: <4a84790a@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson schrieb:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:55:49 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:
> There's a difference between "not appropriate" and "should be
> prohibited".  I agree it's not appropriate, but as a supporter of free
> speech, I have to support it not just in cases of things I find
> appropriate - I also have to support it in cases where there are things
> that I think are inappropriate.
>
> That's what "free speech" is.

... including, of course, voicing one's own opinion that it is
inappropriate.

It's a bit schizophrenic, but yes.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Aug 2009 18:00:56
Message: <4a848d18$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:07:17 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> Where he got his interest is irrelevant.  We all learn from our
>> families and our friends.  So what?  The reason the kid is exercising
>> his free speech is not important.  He should be allowed to do so, as
>> long as he's not disruptive or inciting people to harm others.
>>

> True, but I still don't think it's appropriate to attempt to convert
> other students to your form of religion, be it atheist, christian,
> jewish or muslim. There should be a respect for what others believe. The
> administrators of the school felt this overstepped a boundary, religion
> is a very touchy issue, and can be considered particularly inflammatory.
> I agree with the school's request not to hand out the item directly, but
> leave it in a common area for those who are interested to pick it up.

Well, and that is a reasonable request, too.  But I don't think handing
out candy canes with a note attached need be inflammatory, either.

Again, whether you or I think it's appropriate to "attempt to convert"
someone isn't the issue.  If we decided this based on what anyone
arbitrarily thought was appropriate, we'd wander into government
censorship pretty quickly.  Just because I don't agree with it doesn't
mean they shouldn't have the right to try.

I also find it hard to believe that a student handing out candy canes (or
candy cane pens) with or without a message on it could be
"inflammatory".  There is such a thing as being too sensitive or willing
to be offended as well.

>>> Right. And chances are the problem has nothing to do with religion.
>>
>> It has *everything* to do with religion.  My hypothesis that the kid's
>> parents would be up in arms over an atheist distributing information
>> about atheism was put forth because most people who take these kinds of
>> actions seem to think "free speech" only applies to the things and
>> ideals they hold, not to everyone.
>
> Exactly!
>
> Interestingly enough, the candy cane was NOT intended to be a religious
> symbol:
>
> http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/candycane.asp

True, but people turn all sorts of symbols into special "religious"
symbols for whatever reason.

That the kid was poorly educated on the matter doesn't invalidate his
free speech rights.

Jim

Post a reply to this message