POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New Computer Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:55 EDT (-0400)
  New Computer (Message 41 to 50 of 79)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: New Computer
Date: 14 Aug 2009 11:33:08
Message: <4a8583b4@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:

>       No, Vista Home is exactly the same time.  :)
>
>       Win7 may be better though.

These are gaming benchmarks, but not much appreciable difference between
Win7 and Vista:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/2869/windows_7_final_oem_vs_windows_vista_vga_performance/index.html

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 14 Aug 2009 11:39:22
Message: <4a85852a$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Chambers schrieb:
>> Still, it's my first quad core machine, and I'm excited about it :)
>
> You have reason enough to be. Two months ago, I was still working with a
> P4, and was still so excited about the AMD Phenom 2 I had bought half a
> year ago (as a dedicated Linux/POV-Ray rendering machine :-P) that I was
> about to opt for another Phenom for Windows work, too (for a less
> frustrating modelling experience :-)). Fortunately the guy at the local
> store talked me into buying an i7 instead, but I'm convinced the Phenom
> would have done about as well for quite a few years, too, and I would
> have left me just as excited ;-)

No doubt. My major consideration against the i7 was price, but when the
prices drop, it'll be a less painful upgrade, though I'll have to get
DDR3 memory.

One of these days I'll switch the OS to the 64 bit version. Retail Win7
is going to lighten my wallet, though.

> If it wasn't for the modelling and raytracing, I could have lived
> happily with that P4 for another year or two: It's just about the
> computing power I needed for everything else, including software
> development. If it wasn't for games, I'd say a fast P4 (I had already
> upgraded it to the fastest I could get) is as much computing power as
> any sane person could possibly need.
>
> ... and we have way over 4 times that power on or under our desks - Gee!

Yup.

It still surprised me that with the same video chipset, same video
memory from the same vendor (but PCIe instead of AGP) that gaming
performance increased as much as it did, since most games don't really
take advantage of multiple cores, yet!

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message