POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:28:56 EDT (-0400)
  A puzzle (Message 40 to 49 of 49)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: A puzzle
Date: 11 Aug 2009 06:01:34
Message: <4a81417e@news.povray.org>
>> ...all of which is true. However, a simple experiment with a wavetank
>> quickly demonstrates that, for some reason that I don't comprehend,
>> large waves won't go through small gaps, and yet small waves will.
>> This is the precise opposite of what you would expect, but the results
>> are clear.
>
> Hum... I hate to admit this, but it seems you're right: I just hacked
> together a POV-Ray script to simulate a wavetank-kind-of-apparatus (very
> idealized, but still...), initially to disprove your statement - only to
> find that indeed small gaps will not let low-frequency waves pass.
> Changes in gradient will pass through - but not oscillations.

Weird, isn't it?

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 11 Aug 2009 07:44:59
Message: <4a8159bb$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook schrieb:
> clipka wrote:
>> Strictly speaking, there's no such thing as a "pulling" force in air.
>
> Sure there is.  Ever heard the phrase "nature abhors a vacuum"?  That's
> a pulling force.  Any decrease in pressure in an atmosphere will cause
> molecules to be drawn to the source of the pressure difference.

"Natura abhoret vacui" is a very old misconception. At 0 degrees Kelvin,
nature has no problems with vacuum.

What is commonly percieved as a pulling force of the vaccum is in
reality a stronger pushing force (due to collisions of molecules) from
the high-pressure region than from the low-pressure region. As a matter
of fact, *both* exert a pushing force.

Post a reply to this message