POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A puzzle : Re: A puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A puzzle
From: Tim Cook
Date: 11 Aug 2009 21:39:39
Message: <4a821d5b$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
>     That's a push, not a pull.
>     If you dip a straw into a glass of water, and "suck", all you're
> doing is forcing your diaphragm to go down a bit, causing your lungs to
> expand. This creates a region of low pressure in your lungs, and the
> atmospheric pressure *outside* is what will actually push the water into
> your mouth - it's a push by the atmosphere, not a pull by you.

*thinks about it*  Seems to me like six of one, half-dozen of another,
but then again, centrifugal force is a nonexistent force conjured up to
describe motion in a particular frame of reference, too...from an
outside point of view, the math is easier/makes more sense when you
reduce everything to a single set of common elements with no overlap.

But having a word for 'suck' is handy for us lay-people--lets us
describe life in a shorter phrase than "region of low density of
pleasantness at self causes misfortune to be pushed onto me", as "life
sucks".

;)

--
Tim Cook