POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question on video input Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  Question on video input (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Chambers
Subject: Question on video input
Date: 23 Jul 2009 00:19:36
Message: <4a67e4d8@news.povray.org>
I'd like to route a 1080p video stream through HDMI into my PC, and
display it either in a scaled window or, optionally, full-screen.
Recording would be optional.

Are most TV tuner cards (with HDMI inputs) acceptable for this?  And are
they separate from the main graphics card I would use?  Or should I buy
a specific graphics card (or card from a specific series) to get this
functionality?

Additionally, how is the software support?  Do most of these cards use
3rd party software for what I want, or just route it through Windows
Media Center?

Are there any other caveats I should be aware of?

--
Chambers

Post a reply to this message

> I'd like to route a 1080p video stream through HDMI into my PC, and
> display it either in a scaled window or, optionally, full-screen.
> Recording would be optional.

I don't have any experience of feeding those sorts of signals into a PC, but
watch out if the stream is encrypted (eg from a games console, bluray
player, or some HD cable/satellite boxes).  If it is then you might have
problems viewing it on pre-Vista machines (and even on Vista machines you'll
need a video card and monitor that can handle encrypted video data), and I
doubt you'd be able to record it.

Post a reply to this message

> > I'd like to route a 1080p video stream through HDMI into my PC, and
> > display it either in a scaled window or, optionally, full-screen.
> > Recording would be optional.
>
> I don't have any experience of feeding those sorts of signals into a PC, but
> watch out if the stream is encrypted (eg from a games console, bluray
> player, or some HD cable/satellite boxes).  If it is then you might have
> problems viewing it on pre-Vista machines (and even on Vista machines you'll
> need a video card and monitor that can handle encrypted video data), and I
> doubt you'd be able to record it.

Well, it's from my XBox.  I'm using my TV as a monitor for my PC, and sometimes
I want to use the media player on the PC for music instead of the music
interface on the XBox.  Routing the video through the PC would make this
trivially easy.

I'm running the Windows 7 RC, and expect to purchase the full version when it's
released, so the DRM shouldn't be a problem.  As I said, I'm not terribly
interested in recording, just routing it through the desktop.

....Chambers

Post a reply to this message

> Well, it's from my XBox.  I'm using my TV as a monitor for my PC, and
> sometimes
> I want to use the media player on the PC for music instead of the music
> interface on the XBox.  Routing the video through the PC would make this
> trivially easy.
>
> I'm running the Windows 7 RC, and expect to purchase the full version when
> it's
> released, so the DRM shouldn't be a problem.

So long as your graphics card has HDCP support you should be fine.  BTW I
picked up Windows 7 pre-order from amazon UK for 45 GBP when they had that
special offer the other day.  I think they're sold out now though :-)