POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
9 Oct 2024 19:16:09 EDT (-0400)
  Tell me it isn't so! (Message 334 to 343 of 473)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Tell me it isn't so!
Date: 28 Jul 2009 12:25:00
Message: <web.4a6f2566ac52dfd4dcf616650@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> I am 75% sure that the C64 would *automatically* indent your code. As
> >> in, if you wrote a FOR-NEXT loop, the loop body would automatically
> >> appear indented, and there was nothing you could do about it.
> >
> > I'm 99% sure it did *un-indent* the code no matter how hard you tried... (just
> > googled for a few C64 BASIC code snippets, and found them all not indented)
>
> Hmm. Perhaps it was the Sinclare Spectrum then...

Code snippets on the internet indicate otherwise. Next try... :)

(Hint: It wasn't the Amstrad CPC either; I don't know of any home computer that
had an auto-indent feature.)

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 28 Jul 2009 12:40:00
Message: <web.4a6f2988ac52dfd4dcf616650@news.povray.org>
> That's one solution, but not really because of the memory. The Amiga had
> only 128K or 256K, and it handled clipping windows and saving the clipped
> parts elsewhere just fine. I suspect it was more a question of (a) amount of
> effort put into the graphics layer and (b) the fact that there was no
> hardware accel for Windows boxes so redrawing from scratch was probably
> close to as fast as blitting the saved window anyway.

Typically, yes. After all, in those days of Windows 3.1 (and earlier), windows
were just solid-filled rectangles with a border around, and buttons likewise.

Having a dedicated blitter chip made the approach much more worthwile. And I
guess the Amiga only had it because it was designed for GUI operation right
from the start.

Post a reply to this message