POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:55 EDT (-0400)
  US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity (Message 59 to 68 of 98)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity
Date: 13 Jul 2009 11:57:43
Message: <4a5b5977$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> It's one of the more famous and enduring songs from that time period,
>> particularly the opening notes.  Now you have some american culture in you,
>> assuming you listened to the song. :-)
>
>   Except that Deep Purple is a British band...

Great! Two cultures for the price of one! ;-)

Seriously, thanks for the correction.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."

From: Darren New
Date: 13 Jul 2009 11:59:38
Message: <4a5b59ea$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> On 07/12/09 22:23, Darren New wrote:
>> You might be using "reward" in a looser sense, simply meaning "pay" or
>> "reimburse" or "benefit" or something.
>
>     I meant it as in benefit. Kind of forgot that reward was not that
> flexible a word.

Then I think we're agreeing.

>>> Unless you're talking about free software...
>>
>> I'm not sure that free software within the discussion of modified
>> copyrights makes sense. If it's already free, why prevent copying?
>
>     Stuff like the GPL. To put conditions on its usage.

Sure. My point was more philosophical. I understand why FSF wants to put
conditions on its usage. My question was more "why should the government
support that", just like our question has been "why should the government
support copyright at all?"