POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Racism in the US Server Time
9 Oct 2024 12:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Racism in the US (Message 81 to 90 of 105)
From: Neeum Zawan
Subject: Re: Racism in the US
Date: 15 Jul 2009 13:59:14
Message: <4a5e18f2@news.povray.org>
On 07/15/09 11:56, andrel wrote:
>> Actually, his father was of mixed ancestry himself (part native Kenyan
>> and part Arab), so Barack is more white than anything else.
>
> Arabs are white?

	What Warp said.

	But since you mentioned it, for census purposes, Arabs are counted as
whites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_American

	So that would make him 75% white?

--
... OS/2 VirusScan - "Windows found: Remove it? (Y/y)"

Post a reply to this message

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 15 Jul 2009 14:22:20
Message: <4a5e1e5c$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/15/09 11:56, andrel wrote:
>> What many find troublesome, however, is that 99% of black Americans
>> who voted did so for Obama, but the press made nothing of it.
>
> I tried to find any statistics, but I couldn't find anything. Do you
> have info that supports up this claim?

	99% is a stretch (although I didn't check for this election), but 90%
typically vote Democrat. I had once found a web site that had all kinds
of statistics, including breakdown by race/ethnicity, which confirmed
this all the way back to the 70's.

	So in a sense, the huge figure is probably not that much related to
race as it is political affiliation. However, I believe exit polls
generally showed that race was a factor in this past election, and not
just for blacks, but also for whites. (They were explicitly asked if it
was a factor).

	I saw this a while ago, and I suspect it may shed some light (I forget
the details):

http://www.ted.com/talks/nate_silver_on_race_and_politics.html

--
... OS/2 VirusScan - "Windows found: Remove it? (Y/y)"

Post a reply to this message

> I saw this a while ago, and I suspect it may shed some light (I forget
> the details):
>
> http://www.ted.com/talks/nate_silver_on_race_and_politics.html

	Looking at it again, it only discusses white racism influencing their
votes, and not black...

--
... OS/2 VirusScan - "Windows found: Remove it? (Y/y)"

Post a reply to this message

>>> What many find troublesome, however, is that 99% of black Americans
>>> who voted did so for Obama, but the press made nothing of it.
>>
>> I tried to find any statistics, but I couldn't find anything. Do you
>> have info that supports up this claim?
>
>     99% is a stretch (although I didn't check for this election), but
> 90% typically vote Democrat. I had once found a web site that had all
> kinds of statistics, including breakdown by race/ethnicity, which
> confirmed this all the way back to the 70's.

I seem to remember much lower figures from the previous elections. Which
were probably more religion influenced than those before.

>     So in a sense, the huge figure is probably not that much related to
> race as it is political affiliation.

or social status, which is correlated to race.

>  However, I believe exit polls
> generally showed that race was a factor in this past election, and not
> just for blacks, but also for whites. (They were explicitly asked if it
> was a factor).
>
>     I saw this a while ago, and I suspect it may shed some light (I
> forget the details):
>

> http://www.ted.com/talks/nate_silver_on_race_and_politics.html

There are still people in favor of banning interracial marriages?

Post a reply to this message