POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  An example of confirmation bias? (Message 230 to 239 of 279)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: An example of confirmation bias?
Date: 11 Jul 2009 13:02:02
Message: <6ahh555g90m214pkod6g05ufh5cpmdi80m@4ax.com>
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 09:53:37 -0700, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>Sure, it started 14 billion years ago, but that's 14 billion of *our* years.
>Time slows in a high gravity field, and squishing an entire universe into
>one dot is definitely going to give you a high gravity field, so maybe the
>first 10^-43 seconds of the universe lasted forever.

Congratulations, you've solved the mystery of the sudden inflation.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 11 Jul 2009 13:06:36
Message: <8ehh55ptkbbl8a8uber5ho31ddvqsn53cc@4ax.com>
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 09:56:02 -0700, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>I think the watchmaker argument and the clockmaker argument are different.
>
>Watchmaker: Something complex like a watch must be designed, so God exists
>to design it.
>
>Clockmaker: God started the universe, wound it up like a clock, and now it
>just ticks along with no further need for attention from the clockmaker.
>
>As I understand it...

Right! fair enough. I've only read about that in fiction. I thought that Jim had
made a simple mistake.

Makes It even more unworthy of worship.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 11 Jul 2009 13:13:23
Message: <3mhh551r5hsh2uem2bti8q74k93349to2i@4ax.com>
On 11 Jul 2009 12:01:07 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>Well, assuming it were true, I would agree that worship would be
>inappropriate, but marvel/honour of someone who created something that
>complex?

Marvel, yes.

>Some people honour those who create things that demonstrate a
>high degree of knowledge or experience, so why not?

I suppose it depends on the meaning of honour. You can honour elders for their
age and wisdom which is a good thing, mostly but I would not honour someone like
Hussein or Hitler if they had reached an old age. Except maybe out of fear. ;)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message