POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Jul 2009 16:54:23
Message: <4a58fbff$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 09:53:37 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> God created x, y, and z.
>
> Um, OK.  I think an awful lot of religious nuts think God is actively
> intervening, tho.

Oh, yes, I would agree with this....

> I had another thought, tho...   People say "the universe was created,
> and thus needs a creator."  But what makes people think the universe
> hasn't been around forever?

Personally, I think it's because some people can't wrap their minds
around that - so rather than try to (or accept that they can't), they
created/believe in a "mythology" as a way of explaining the inexplicable.

> Sure, it started 14 billion years ago, but that's 14 billion of *our*
> years. Time slows in a high gravity field, and squishing an entire
> universe into one dot is definitely going to give you a high gravity
> field, so maybe the first 10^-43 seconds of the universe lasted forever.

That makes sense to me....but at the same time, I can also see the point
of view that says "God created the heaven and the Earth in 6 days" - if a
day isn't a solar Earth day but measured on a larger timescale.  I don't
personally think the universe was "created", but I can see that as a
possible reading of Genesis.

Jim