POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knuth says so Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:28:31 EDT (-0400)
  Knuth says so (Message 61 to 70 of 70)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Knuth says so
Date: 27 Jun 2009 12:27:58
Message: <4a46488e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   In the European patenting system (at least in principle) you cannot
> restrict what people do. The only thing the patent restricts is selling
> of the patented products.

I see. Yes, the American patent system is more restrictive than that. You
can still build the stuff yourself, but only for research purposes. (Your
guess is as good as mine as to when you cross from research to commercial
use. :-)

>   Those are, of course, quite extreme cases.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the one with the laser pointer was done as a means
of showing how stupid the patent system has gotten. :-)

>   Being able to patent eg. a method for vulcanizing rubber is completely
> akin to being able to patent a food recipe.

So can you patent chemicals, like drugs? How do you pay for the R&D that
goes into something like a method for making a particular drug if you can't
charge more than it costs to manufacture?

Something like 1/2 to 2/3'rds of the cost of a CPU is paying for the
development of the first batch. I would be surprised if it wasn't at least
as expensive to develop and test drugs.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western