POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Knuth says so : Re: Knuth says so Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:25:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knuth says so
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Jun 2009 12:31:18
Message: <4a464956$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I can understand why an American would be surprised about such a thing,
> even though I'm a bit surprised they would be surprised (tautology not
> intended).

Because some things take a huge amount of resource to develop yet are
relatively inexpensive to manufacture. Why would I spend 20 years developing
a cure for cancer if the actual cost of manufacturing the final drug is $10
a dose? That's kind of exactly what patents are aimed at: encouraging
development by protecting the profits long enough to pay back the R&D.

It just seems like it would be bad for business. Worse than the cluster-fk
that's the current American patent system? Hard to say. But we already have
things like substances which are very cheap and *seem* to do very well at
curing a wide variety of cancers inexpensively that nobody is researching
because you can't earn back the research costs by selling it.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western