POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Legalese can sometimes be rather funny Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Legalese can sometimes be rather funny (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Legalese can sometimes be rather funny
Date: 22 Jun 2009 11:36:38
Message: <4a3fa506$1@news.povray.org>
> Absolutely, but it's quite funny that the law requires Apple put such
> verbiage in the EULA when it's pretty well known that those organisations
> who would use the technology for nefarious purposes won't be deterred by
> a bunch of legalese.

It's more to prevent otherwise legally-acting companies from doing military
stuff with other countries without control from the government.  Without the
disclaimer, a company could (to quote the example already given) extract the
accelerometers from iPods and sell them to a missile-making company,
completely avoiding any government control on such devices.

AIUI, in the UK at least, if you export some technology or a product that
even has a remote chance of being able to be used for some military purpose,
then you need to go through a lot more hoops with the government.

Post a reply to this message

But my podcast describing how to develope ICBMs is only available as an
mp4!!! :-(

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:36:35 +0200, scott wrote:

>> Absolutely, but it's quite funny that the law requires Apple put such
>> verbiage in the EULA when it's pretty well known that those
>> organisations who would use the technology for nefarious purposes won't
>> be deterred by a bunch of legalese.
>
> It's more to prevent otherwise legally-acting companies from doing
> military stuff with other countries without control from the government.
>  Without the disclaimer, a company could (to quote the example already
> given) extract the accelerometers from iPods and sell them to a
> missile-making company, completely avoiding any government control on
> such devices.

Oh, yeah, I understand the intent.  It's just really silly to read.

> AIUI, in the UK at least, if you export some technology or a product
> that even has a remote chance of being able to be used for some military
> purpose, then you need to go through a lot more hoops with the
> government.

Yep, same here in the US.

Post a reply to this message