POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Legalese can sometimes be rather funny : Re: Legalese can sometimes be rather funny Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Legalese can sometimes be rather funny
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Jun 2009 20:19:29
Message: <4a401f91@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:35:52 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Absolutely, but it's quite funny that the law requires Apple put such
>> verbiage in the EULA when it's pretty well known that those
>> organisations who would use the technology for nefarious purposes won't
>> be deterred by a bunch of legalese.
>
> I don't think it's that. I think it's there to keep Apple from having to
> prove the device is suitable for that purpose. I.e., "No, the military
> shouldn't be using the GPS on this to decide where to bomb", and etc.

Well, as I said to Scott, yeah, I understand the real intent.  But it
comes across as what I said to most laypeople.  That's why the warnings
like the one below:

> Kind of the difference between getting FCC approval for your radio vs
> slapping a sticker on it that says "Caution: may generate interference."
> If it's going to be used in a hospital, you really need the approval.

Come across as silly as well.  Or for that matter, warnings telling you
that that chainsaw you just bought isn't to be used for trimming nose
hairs.

Jim