POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hypothesis #1 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Hypothesis #1 (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Invisible
Subject: Hypothesis #1
Date: 10 Jun 2009 06:57:43
Message: <4a2f91a7$1@news.povray.org>
Trees are really land coral.

OK, that sounded pretty random. Here me out.

Coral is a layer of living goo coating a lump of dead limestone. The
coral grows by adding more limestone to the surface.

I know almost nothing about tree biology. However, I hypothesize that
the wood inside a tree is actually dead (but not inert), and it is only
the bark which is actually alive and growing. The wood is fiberous, and
so conducts liquid and nutrients around the place, but it is the bark
itself which forms a living skin over the dead wood underneith, and it
is the bark that grows by adding new layers of wood.

Corollary: Do corals have growth rings?

Post a reply to this message

> OK, that sounded pretty random. Here me out.
>
> Coral is a layer of living goo coating a lump of dead limestone. The
> coral grows by adding more limestone to the surface.
>
> I know almost nothing about tree biology. However, I hypothesize that
> the wood inside a tree is actually dead (but not inert), and it is only
> the bark which is actually alive and growing. The wood is fiberous, and
> so conducts liquid and nutrients around the place, but it is the bark
> itself which forms a living skin over the dead wood underneith, and it
> is the bark that grows by adding new layers of wood.

Basically, yes, this is correct. But trees also grow from their buds, so
the overall functionning is more complex. Also, I don't think corals get
much nutrients from the soil, and of course they don't have to mine for
water either ;-)

In fact cells in trees are more specialized than individuals from a
coral colony. But there are indeed similarities in the principle...

> Corollary: Do corals have growth rings?

Yes they do. Google is your friend too :-)
http://www.niwa.co.nz/news-and-publications/publications/all/wa/12-4/coral

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message

> Basically, yes, this is correct. But trees also grow from their buds, so
> the overall functionning is more complex. Also, I don't think corals get
> much nutrients from the soil, and of course they don't have to mine for
> water either ;-)

Trees contain lots of carbon. Where do trees get their carbon? :)

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Basically, yes, this is correct. But trees also grow from their buds, so
> the overall functionning is more complex. Also, I don't think corals get
> much nutrients from the soil, and of course they don't have to mine for
> water either ;-)
>
> In fact cells in trees are more specialized than individuals from a
> coral colony. But there are indeed similarities in the principle...

Yeah. Strictly a coral isn't a single organism, while a tree is. But the
growth mechanism is quite similar.

>> Corollary: Do corals have growth rings?
>
> Yes they do. Google is your friend too :-)
> http://www.niwa.co.nz/news-and-publications/publications/all/wa/12-4/coral

OMG! I was right about something... o_O

Post a reply to this message