POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hypothesis #1 : Re: Hypothesis #1 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hypothesis #1
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 10 Jun 2009 09:59:09
Message: <4a2fbc2d@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford a écrit :
> Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
>
>> Basically, yes, this is correct. But trees also grow from their buds,
>> so the overall functionning is more complex. Also, I don't think
>> corals get much nutrients from the soil, and of course they don't have
>> to mine for water either ;-)
>
> Trees contain lots of carbon. Where do trees get their carbon? :)

In the atmosphere essentially, they absorb it through the leaves during
the photosynthesis process.

My point was that corals don't get anything from the soil at all... The
calcium they use to build their skeleton comes from the water as well,
they feed on plancton and sometimes symbiotic alguae. The trees have to
build a more complex architecture to link roots and leaves...

--
Vincent