POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : False "minimum system requirements" in modern games Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  False "minimum system requirements" in modern games (Message 21 to 30 of 47)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: False "minimum system requirements" in modern games
Date: 7 Jun 2009 16:54:09
Message: <4a2c28f1@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   For example, I recently bought the game "The Last Remnant"
[...]
> I have even maxed up all graphical settings and I'm getting pretty good
> framerates (something like 20 FPS and up). Of course this is mostly thanks
> to my GPU, but at least the CPU isn't getting badly in the way.

  Speaking of which, it's rather impressive what kind of graphics modern
3D cards can produce. For example this game uses quite effectively a
combination of focal blur, luminous blooms and (I assume) HDRI for
rendering really impressive images... in real-time.

  The focal blur is not used only for shows, but actually for composition
purposes. For example there's a cut-scene (rendered in real-time with the
game engine) which has some objects on the foreground and some people in
the background. The focus was on the people while the objects were blurred.
Then the people started talking about the objects and turned to look at
them, and the focus gradually shifted to the objects, leaving the people
blurred. Really cool-looking.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message