POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : False "minimum system requirements" in modern games Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  False "minimum system requirements" in modern games (Message 11 to 20 of 47)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: False "minimum system requirements" in modern games
Date: 7 Jun 2009 09:55:01
Message: <web.4a2bc6387c77dcf46a18a93d0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   As I understand it, "minimum system requirements" should mean "if you
> want this game to run and be playable at a decent frame rate, you should
> have at least this kind of system".

No, it basically translates to "this is the slowest thing on which we promise
this game to run anywhere close to playable - if you have a slower system and
experience problems, our support team will tell you to go fly a kite".

The reason for choosing a certain system as the minimum requirement may be
manifold: The game may actually have been observed to not run properly on
slower systems; or the game developer isn't expecting any member of the target
group to be running a slower system, and so didn't bother to do extensive
testing on any slower system.

Or, the game distributor may want to deliberately exaggerate the game's minimum
requirements, to reassure high-end gamers that the game is indeed laden with
cutting-edge graphics and effects, and not just lame old standard stuff.

Post a reply to this message