POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frightening technology Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Frightening technology (Message 31 to 40 of 70)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Frightening technology
Date: 29 May 2009 17:57:06
Message: <4a205a32$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 29 May 2009 15:36:32 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> Then it's worth being careful with the things you purchase.
>
>   Compare to the good old 3.5-inch floppies. You could throw them
>   accross
> the room and hit a wall and play football with them, and they would
> still work just fine.

Sure, and I could also compare them to 8 Track Tapes or other forms of
media.

Compared to chipping bits out of stone, 3.5" floppies are fragile.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 29 May 2009 17:58:39
Message: <4a205a8f$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 29 May 2009 21:49:11 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> What the **** do they make the actual disk out of? Because man, it's
> unbreakable!

They're not hard to snap in half, have done that on occasion with media
where the dye has given up.

Interestingly, though, if you put them through a shredder (I have one
that handles CD/DVD media), often times the plastic doesn't come apart
and you end up with interesting designs.

Jim

Post a reply to this message