POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frightening technology : Re: Frightening technology Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:56:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frightening technology
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 30 May 2009 02:11:36
Message: <4a20ce18$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Optical media has the advantage that it doesn't degrade.
>> Wrong, it does.  Over time the dyes (especially in cheaper optical media)
>> will fade and you'll start getting read errors.
>>
>> I do have some optical media that that has happened to.
>
> And pressed CDs are MORE prone to degradation than CD-Rs. Hence, making
> backups of bought software/music is indeed a good idea (DRM permitting).

How do you work that one out?

I have numerous CD-Rs which are no longer readable, but I don't possess
one single pressed CD which is unreadable. And I own CDs that were
purchased before CD-R was even *invented*!

Just for completeness, at work we've recently had serious trouble
because some CD-R archives of really old data are now unreadable. But I
have Windows 95 CDs that predate them and still work.

Think about it: CD-Rs work using a light-sensitive dye. It makes sense
that it could fade over time. Pressed CDs use a layer of aluminium
metal. How is that going to fade?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/